The Gladiator Arena is a pretty unique feature in 4D.
The purpose of this feature is to give all players the chance of testing their PK skills by fighting others on equal footing, regardless of the level, tier and equipment of your regular character(s). The Gladiators are all of equal strength; tier 4 level 50, and have the normal stats, skills and spells for their Class. Their equipment also has equal stats. You don’t need to be a high-ranked player to become a successful Gladiator. Even a relative Newbie could be competitive in the Gladiator Arena, although a general knowledge of the Circle code, knowing the surroundings and some PK tricks and being familiar with the specific ‘Quest Culture’ of 4D would help.
A special Arena zone has been set up for this feature, where other players also will be able to ‘view’ the fights, through a unique Spectator’s code. Track will be kept of the individual Gladiator results, and also of who ran each Gladiator at official events.
In normal PK, the equipment is a large factor, and since most good equipment is gained from Quests, this means that a successful PKiller in 4D also is a well experienced player, who knows the large world in and out, and has done most of the major Quests. This factor is eliminated in the Gladiator Arena, where the ‘world’ is confined to 100 rooms. But at least to some extent it will show who the most skilled PKillers of 4D are.
The Gladiator chars
- All Gladiator chars are Level 50, tier 4, and there are 2 gladiators for each of the 8 classes. They will stay at this tier and level and cannot gain or lose exp.
- The Gladiators have the stats, skills and spells normal for a tier 4 of their Class. The skills and spells for each Class are all set to 80%.
- The Gladiators cannot leave the Arena zone, and other mortals cannot enter it (apart from the Spectator Galleries). The Arena zone is set as !teleport in, !teleport out, !summon in, !summon out to ensure this.
- The Gladiators are not able to recall, donate items or use auction.
- Gladiators that die go to the Hospital in Gladiator School
- Supplies will be short during the scheduled fights. For instance no Gladiator will be able to enter the Arena carrying more than 8 heals and 4 sancs, regardless of how many they succeeded to collect in Gladiator School.
- Normally the Gladiator School is only accessible between fights. There are however two places where you can leave the arena or cellar by pulling a bell cord, if you get stuck between fights.
Most of the Gladiator equipment is generic, with no stats, meaning that you could just as well fight naked.
There is however one important exception to this; The Gladiator belt. There are two different versions, one for spellcasters and the other for fighters and rogues. This belt has high affects of hit-and damroll, since hit and dam bonus cannot be set permanently in the code. So every Gladiator needs to make sure that they wear this item in the fights.
Another important item is the net with a cord. This item works basically as snare, and will put the Classes that lack this skill, or any of its equivalents, on a more even footing with those that have it. The number of nets that you can bring into the arena is restricted to three however, and it breaks with wear and tear.